Friday, January 4, 2013

Group Fitness Rocks My Socks


I have always been a fairly social person, I enjoy being surrounded by strangers and friends alike. In group classes there is no pressure to make verbal connections with everyone in the room but they are there and their presence is comforting.
Working out solo works well for some people, they get gym memberships, lift weights, go on treadmills, swim laps, and work up a sweat each week. I love that there are super self accountable people in the world, I am just not one of them.
I have purchased gym memberships in the past but I could never really get into it. I would show up feeling awkward in my old sneakers and baggy gym class shirt and scan the room filled with sweaty muscles and barely there clothing items. I feel embarrassed to admit that I was terrified of going anywhere near these Greek gods and goddesses. My eyes would then rest upon the older women doing the elliptical while watching Days of Our Lives, and yes, that is what I spent time doing at the gym.
One day a friend of mine asked if I wanted to go to a Zumba class with her which sounded interesting. I had no idea what Zumba was but I was up for trying something new! Turns out I am terrible at Zumba, I have a really poor sense of rhythm when it comes to dancing and can't shake my hips at all. But I really enjoyed myself! I am much more of a Richard Simmons than a Shakira. Fellow students would laugh when they messed up, most had a smile on their face the whole time, and everyone was giving an honest effort. Thus began my journey into the land of group fitness.
The next thing I tried was Pilates at a local studio. Then I took a modern dance class at the University, which I was terrible at as well. A few month later I took tap dancing lessons at night through a community recreation program where the average age was about 55 and I was a measly 22. Finally my friend got my the birthday present of yoga classes.
Like in my other group fitness classes, in yoga everyone is there giving an honest effort. Sometimes there isn't a smile on every face but after the class in the lobby there is chatter, praise, and enough free tea for everyone as we bundle up to go home. The instructors always make themselves available for questions or just to thank everyone for making it to class!

Going to group fitness classes has helped me enjoy and show up on my road to good health. Seeing everyone together trying their best is inspiring and keeps it all fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment